NYS Public Entities
Safety Group 497
Formed in 1981 by a group of municipal officials, NYS Public Entities Safety Group 497 was created in order to obtain reductions in the human and financial costs of workers' injuries. The goal of Safety Group 497 is to provide its members a financially secure program, overall cost-effective pricing, exceptional service, and knowledgeable resources.
As a result, Safety Group 497 has paid dividends totaling more than $80 million throughout 41 consecutive years.
- Volunteer Fire Districts
- Other Political Subdivisions
- Workers' Compensation
- Volunteer Firefighters' Benefit Law (VFBL)
- Volunteer Ambulance Workers' Benefit Law (VAWBL)
- Fully insured - financially backed by the full faith and credit of the State of NY
- Upfront policy discounts for qualified risks
- Potential end-of-year dividends based on the group's performance
- No claim liability for funding shortfalls or insolvency
- Accident analysis and trending reports
- Claim reserve reviews
- Experience mod factor review and forecasting
- Workers' compensation premium budget projections
- Audit review and class code verification
- Risk control services
Bruce D. Guttenplan
Marc R. Smith
Partnership with Lexipol
Public Entity Safety Initiative Grant
- Applicant must be a current NYS Public Entities Safety Group 497 member - all members are encouraged to apply!
- Must submit all required documentation before February 1st.
What Documentation Should be Submitted?
- Cover page that can be downloaded here.
- Letter of intent that includes:
- Explanation of need - what will the grant be used for (i.e., safety training or equipment?)
- Who will be benefiting from the equipment/training?
- Outline of proposed training/equipment